Tuesday, May 21, 2013

In the city


May 20/21, 2013

New York City

So, with the curiosities of travelling, only half of May 20th occurred for me.  David, Stepan, and I saw a smidgeon of New York.  We went to the Cake Boss Café and had coffee and cupcakes.  



After much effort, we got to JFK.  The bus there was kind of messy: we had to transfer to different buses and the drivers were grumpy about it.  But I did enjoy seeing things.  It made me excited for city life.  We met up with Найда at JFK and she, Stepan, and I played a few games of Hearts whilst bantering in the crude manner of college students before boarding our plane, which took off around 2:00 pm.   

The flight wasn’t too bad.  I slept a little bit, but ended up watching two films: Alfred Hitchcock’s “North by Northwest,” and “Hitchcock,” a film about Alfred Hitchcock.  It was divine.  I actually nearly cried watching “Hitchcock”.  Anthony Hopkins acted the part phenomenally, as did the lady who played Alma Hitchcock. Hopkins, especially, became his character.  The screenwriting was witty and captured the spirit of this beloved film director quite well. It was a moving film.

When we got off of the plane, it was 7:45 am in Moscow, which means we just skipped night time all together.   We had to wait quite a long time before we could leave by bus because we had to wait for the arrival of Shane and Dr. Pogacar.  Now we just need David and Jess to arrive, and we shall be a happy party. 

It took probably over an hour to get from the airport to the university.  It was an incredible little bus trip, though.  Moscow is so vast and varies so widely.  Some areas seem old, dilapidated and polluted.   Others seem new, enormous and futuristic.  


Here at the university, everything is just old.  I feel as if I jumped back a century here.  There are huge ballrooms with columns and paintings and statues of soviet leaders.  There are kiosks in the corners and in the halls.  The elevators are spooky and precarious-seeming, but I enjoy every bit of it. 



My room is a sanctuary.  The floor is made of raw wood laid out in chevron style.  There is a window with a straight dandelion-colored curtain and a sill big enough to sit in and watch the outside world romantically. I have little shkoffs (bookshelves/closets) and an old TV that plays cable stations.  It makes fun background noise.  There are two wooden chairs, a desk, and a lamp that inspires me to write 50s crime novels.  Everything is perfect.  For a bed, I have a sort of foam couch.  If I’d let myself, I’d probably sleep for hours, but I have to battle Jet Lag, and giving in to slumber and the forgotten night will not help.


So, here I sit with my sparkling mineral water ready for the group to come together.  I have some things I need: toiletries, really.  The toilet room (outside of my room and my currently non-existent neighbors’ room) did not come with toilet paper, so the luxury of using the bathroom is postponed until paper stuffs can be located, which is easier said than done.

Moscow State University is a wonder of the Communist era, and, in all its glory, this campus is extraordinarily intimidating to me right now.  I don’t understand how it works.  This dorm that I am in is super complicated.  It has 21 floors and myriad hallways and staircases that go around in mazes.  I haven’t even a clue how to find other buildings and stores.  There are swarms of people everywhere, too.  They all speak Russian.  I feel terribly inadequate in that regard.

I can’t say that I am scared.  I am intrigued and I am at peace, but I am in my room.  Some guys laughed at me earlier because I did not understand what they said.  The one guy said to the other, “She’s one that has terrible Russian.”  I confirmed his statement, in Russian, but they shook their heads and laughed.  After successfully purchasing water with 80 rubles, separated from my friends, I got lost in the elevators.  Yes, here even the elevators are fit for a labyrinth.  There are eight elevators on this sector of the building: two sets of four.  I did not realize that one set operates for floors 0-9 and the other for the floors to the 2 and 10-21.  After riding the latter elevators in a disoriented search for the elusive 7th floor, I realized that I simply had the wrong group of elevators.  I was given funny looks, but it doesn’t matter.  I’ll be unknown here.  We leave in nine days.

1 comment:

  1. My family had the same problem about elevators in Russia. Very curious. I can just see you loving the elegant oldness of it :) Golly girl, you've already gotten yourself an adventure :) I'm almost laughing imagining how fantastic it would be to be there with you trying to find our way around the building :) I love this. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete