Monday, September 27, 2010

Blog Entry for September 26, 2010

So, I’m all moved in to the apartment. I will be sharing it with four other girls, two of which (Jessica and Marta) I have already met. (The others come in to Kyiv, today). It’s not the most glamorous apartment at all, but it is definitely perfect for us. It’s comfortable and convenient, and will be easy to make feel homey. There are four beds and one convertible couch. The kitchen has a few cups, a stack of miss-match plates, two forks, two butter knives, a handful of soupspoons, a ladle, a bottle opener, a cutting board, some pans, and a pot. We were provided with eggs, butter, bread, water, and cheese for breakfast. Marta and I made breakfast this morning. We toasted the bread on the stove and topped it with our eggs and cheese. It was delicious! We had stopped in at the little grocery store around the block last night and purchased mango juice and coffee.

We also purchased some laundry detergent for washing our clothes in the bathtub, but there’s a rumor that the ladies next store have a washer and Marta said that perhaps we could exchange detergent for some use of the washer. I do hope so!

Jessica and Marta are pretty fabulous. They are 24 and 17 years old. Jessica is from New York and knows a little bit of Russian. She has been to Russia before. Marta is Ukrainian and knows a little bit English. So, we all get along pretty well with the language barrier. Hopefully they’ll be able to help me learn some Russian. I currently know only a couple of words. I can say hello, thank-you, and good-bye. And scarf. I can say scarf. In Russians it’s pronounced “sharf,” so it’s pretty easy to remember. Once I can read/type Russian, I’ll be able to know this stuff for sure. :D

So, here’s a little video of the apartment.

We went to church this morning. It was all in English because it’s an international church. It was small, which was nice. I got to meet a few people and have a second cup of coffee. Worship was excellent, and so was the sermon.

After church, Anya and Lance, our DTS director, took us to a pizza place. It was delicious. They don’t make your typical American pepperoni and cheese pizza. Mine had ham, corn, and tomatoes on it: a tasty combination. The crust was lighter than a typical US pizza and the sauce and cheese were quite different. It’s all good.

We have orientation and registration earlier, so I’ll end here and take a little nap before it’s time to go. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment